Peter and Jessica Gross are on a truth-seeking quest to Accra, Ghana. Follow us on our wild African adventures:

Insurance negotiations (ker-sploosh) !! Dropped cell phone calls (thwack) !! - and - Visits to the pub (zowie) !!

Ok, so maybe a little heavy with the irony. But even though this is just another place, and ours is just another story, we wanted to share it with you. So enjoy, and don't forget to drop us a line every so often. We're thankful for you!

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Week 1 in Ghana

Been in Ghana for a week now, and sad to say, I haven’t done much. Maybe it’s Jess being gone (in Kenya for now), maybe it’s the backlog of work that greeted me here. But a few things have taken place…

I have been given a warm welcome by my team: Naa, Oko, Naa Shika, and Naa Shormeh. Ghanaians are just fine, it seems, using about twenty names: roughly one name per million people. Might sound a little draconian in a land of baby name books, but look at it this way – at this rate, they’ll never get to Missy or Jazzmine.

I have learned the economics of driving a taxi while sitting in traffic: $6-10 per day paid to the taxi owner, $15 for gas, and then anything left over for you. Which, on an average fare of $1.50 and a glut of taxis in the city...

I have been amused that the steps up to my office are of random height.

I have met the Commissioner of Insurance, and lived.

I have become fascinated by Ghanaian hip life music, and the Ghanaian tendency to dance whenever music is playing, anywhere, at any time.

I have won $7 in a poker game.

I have passed an old Muslim woman in the street with two scarred Christian crosses carved into each cheek.

I have become accustomed to daily power outages in a town that is bursting at the seams. All the more interesting given that yesterday was Earth Hour, announced on the CNN website by this mind-bending headline: “AROUND THE WORLD, PEOPLE CHOOSE TO GO WITHOUT POWER.” My cynicism is quickly taking root.

I have perfected the ‘click’ at the end of the Ghanaian handshake, but have not yet been able to persuade a soul to speak Ga or Twi with me - or, rather, to return my Ga or Twi greetings with anything but a giggle and a response in the Queen’s English.

I have learned to be productive while soaked in sweat.

I have been to three church services – two voluntarily. The other one was an all-night service (10 pm – 5 am) at a large Pentecostal church outside my hotel window. If you can’t beat them…

I have paid $5 for a small grapefruit, and $2 for a huge draft beer.

Ok, that’s all for now. Thanks for your emails -


- PG

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like a good African pentecostal worship service! And I know well the giggle that comes with a Siswati (Swaziland) greeting with a whole lot of southern drawwwwl! It's the same one I get from Abby when she tries to teach me something in Mandarin! Glad you're settling in...

    ReplyDelete